Monday, August 1, 2011

Run, Run, As Fast As You Can...


At the end of school in 2010, Ashton's teacher gave all the kids a book from the class library. She selected "The Gingerbread Man" for him. Ever since that day he has frequently requested that as his bedtime story, and each night as we finish he also requests that we make our own gingerbread man with the published recipe that's conveniently placed on the back of the book.

 Over a year goes by and mom finally commits. The promise is made. We shop for the ingredients and hunt down a cookie cutter. I start worrying to myself that he may be disappointed when the little men don't jump right off the cookie sheet and run away! 


 The first attempt was a FAIL.
Thank goodness he wasn't too let down when my domestic skills showed 
their true colors and lack of experience.

I had shopped around for a real GOOD soft, chewy recipe. 
Turns out  some dough isn't meant to be rolled out.


I decide not to let too much time pass before a second attempt is made. Another recipe is found, that has actually been used by Nanny, and this time I mix the batter myself so as to not have my son gag again from the spice-smells.


They come out a success this round! 
Ashton enjoyed helping cut them out and watch me use the baker's icing bag to 
dress the men, and women, in clothes. He picked yellow and blue to match the man on the book.


After two nibbles, he tells me that was enough.
I hope that's code for, "we don't need to make those again, mom."


1 comment:

The Malan Family said...

That is such a good idea! You are a great mom.