Thursday, September 1, 2011

Kindergarten Time

Before saying anything else, my thoughts immediately go to THIS POST (click). It truly is amazing how far he has come. I get asked all the time how he's "doing", is he mainstreamed in Kindergarten, is he totally "normal" now, will he learn the same way as the other kids. . . To be honest, I haven't thought of Ashton as having any special needs since he was 3 years old. Yes, he has made a complete turn around, and no he does not have any type of disability or symptoms of his previous diagnosis of autism. Those who know him can see he is just like every other 5 year old out there...but with more charisma then all of them combined!
Ashton has been going to "school" since he was 2 years old. It was rough sending my 2 year old on a big school bus back then, but now seems even harder to let his hand go as he walks into Kindergarten alone. I've thought a lot about why us moms get all worked up over the big first day of Kindergarten. It's not just that one day. It's not that they're sooooo old ;) It's not that we hate to have them away for those 3 hours. It's that we look back to where they have been, how they've gotten to this point, and where they are going that pulls at mom's heart strings. For me it is definitely bitter sweet and I look forward to the next 13+ years of school, but for now I am going to love and live in where we're at, Kindergarten.
There were lots of fun "friends" on the first day!

 Teacher Ms. Howard


He had a great first day!


No comments: